A Promise

"I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you" (from the Book of Genesis)

Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Meritocracy Myth

Goodness! I'm sick and tired of all those voices and high brow attitudes which keep criticizing and lamenting the Reservation process. (Remember, the well-wishers are concerned only about the caste reservations - the rest is well with the world) Well, as for me, I don't have the audacity to say that I am meritorious and the rest of the world is not! And, how on earth can anyone say that she or he is carrying the burden of the entire nation's merit! Boy, that's just another version of the 'white man's burden'. As long we don't have a level playing ground merit is just a farce. And, hello, how are we defining merit now? Isn't it just a score or percentile or percentage or the Queen's lingo? How can we subscribe to such a narrow perception of merit and right away argue that the ones who don't have a certain score or the ones who can't get their diphthongs right are not meritorious like the others?!

-- Virtually Yours

2 comments:

KD said...

agreed!! but isn't 50% reservation in institutes like IIT's too much?

abraham said...

Isn't it highly relative. For selection to IIT's it is relativity scale is how you do in the relevant entrance and/or other tests. Assuming that these selection criteria establish a good base measure of the capabilities/foundation required to meet the rigors of the course of studies, then I feel that relative merit in the selection is the way to go!

As for reservation, I am totally for it - at the appropriate place. Read appropriate as the place where it helps the 'reserved' community the most.

A memory from my college days - in my peer group was a friend. He was a doctor's son from a reasonably wealthy family. He was also privileged to be in the reserved class. In the selection tests for admission to MBBS - he scored about 60% (i do not now remember the exact score). Several of his peers scored over 90%. The selection for merit seats in MBBS in Govt colleges stopped at over 98%. As for my friend, he got a seat in the Govt college. He took 8+ years to clear a 5 year course. In an emergency would I take my kids to his clinic? Would you?