A Promise

"I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you" (from the Book of Genesis)

Friday, November 14, 2008

Feast on your life!!

I'm not much of a poetry person. Nevertheless, came across this one by Derek Walcott - and I quite liked it!

The time will come
When, with elation,
You will greet yourself arriving
At your own door, in your own mirror,
And each will smile at the other's welcome,

And say, sit here, Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
To itself, to the stranger who has loved you

All your life, whom you ignored
For another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

The photographs, the desperate notes,
Peel your image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.

~ Derek Walcott ~

Loved it!! Yes, Feast on your life! And, let me add, "don't crib when you have to share the dessert"!!

--Virtually Yours

4 comments:

KD said...

"don't crib when you have to share the dessert"!!

Yes, a nice addition indeed!!

KD said...

by d way, and I also liked it!

Jai Mohan said...

Was going through the orkut profiles of my friends from Ivanios, when I stumbled upon yours and then ventured into your blog… Read most of the posts… Some are really good ones, especially the one titled “story of my life…” In that post you wrote about existence of parallel spaces, the idea is put to use in the book “one” by Richard Bach. Would recommend it to you although I feel his other works like illusions are better, probably you’d have read all these…

I’m not a regular blogger and a posts even less prose … but in case you wish to have a look .. my blog …http://myvirtualworld.blog.com/

Virtually Yours said...

Hey KD and Jai Mohan, Thanks for dropping by and posting. Had not been blogging for a while - hence the delay in acknowledgement :D